Aussie In Seoul

Well here is the deal. I am Australian and just moved to Seoul with my wife to work in a 5 star hotel. I hope to share some of my thoughts and comments over the Years I am here!

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Valentine's Day


Wishing everyone a very wonderful Valentine's Day.

February 14th for me is a very big day. Not only is it the most important day to show my love to my wonderful wife, but it is also her Birthday! How lucky am I! One gift for two celebrations! NOT!! I have to treat this as two seperate occassions ... and rightly so!


Last night I had to go out with some business associates, and told them I had to be home by midnight or I better bring the divorce papers! So at 1140pm I was in a taxi on my way home.. and made it! So our clebration of February 14th is a 24 hour affair! But hey, Im the luckiest man in the world.

So whilst we are on the subject of Valentine's Day I thought I would give you a summary of how they deal with this day and certain love days in the year in Korea. All so fascinating, but.. I will stick with the normal way, or my life will be over!

Valentine's Day is on February 14 in Korea, as with everywhere else in the world. On that day, many girls and young women give candies and chocolate to their boyfriends and husbands.

There is another special day like Valentine's Day in Korea. It is called 'White Day." White Day is on March 14. It is just the contrary of Valentine's Day. Many boys and young men give chocolates to their girl friends and wives. Some confess their love to their girlfriends on that day, so many young women look forward to it. (So corny!)

Lots of shops display a variety of chocolates and candies before both Valentine's Day and White Day. Downtown is crowded with many young people who want to enjoy those days. But young people who had no girlfriend or boyfriend didn't like those days because they spent them alone. So, they made another special day called 'Black Day' for themselves. Black Day is on April 14. On this day, they have Jajang noodles with their friends who are in the same situation. Jajang noodles are black, so that is why they call it Black Day. However, it is still not as popular as Valentine's Day and White Day.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home